OK. This is a topic that has been on my mind for quite some time--ever since we first started talking about it in class within the first few weeks of the semester. Secular Judaism, from what I understand, is pretty much the part of Judaism that is not religious in nature. If I understand it, Cultural Judaism is very similar, if not the exact same thing as Secular Judaism.
What is so baffling to me is the fact that some people take on an identity that is based on a purely religious and spiritual occurrences (Noah, Abraham, etc...) and take out the spiritual aspect of it. Is this even possible? Well, of course it is possible, people do it. Yet still, I am not satisfied as an outsider of Judaism with the whole concept of Secular Judaism. In my experience at Indiana University, I have had the opportunity to come across many Secular Jews--those who do not exactly keep Kosher, attend Shabbat services, participate during the High Holy days, etc... Yet, despite their lack of participation in the traditions and beliefs of Judaism, they still choose to identify with and call themselves Jewish. Others I know, including a good friend of mine actually, celebrate Passover along with other traditions but do not even believe in God. Some of these examples it seems identify with Judaism because thats what one or both of their parents were. Jews may or may not be a race of people. If they are, I can understand the concept of one identifying with Judaism because it is literally in their veins. But, what of an example of someone whose parents were (or at least one of them was) converts to Judaism. Let's say that person does not practice or believe anything that has to do with Judaism, but still identifies as a full-fledged Jew. Is this fair? Does simply where you grew up make us what we are? I argue that it does not. So, the question still remains, WHAT MAKES ONE JEWISH?? Does Judaism even exist? I believe that it does, but how can we prove it? Is it simply a collection of traditions, holidays, and a past? While I feel that these elements are crucial elements to it, I feel that it is so much more. To someone like me who is from the outside, it seems that there has to be that monotheistic element around which everything else revolves. Judaism was founded on belief in One God, and the love that that God has for those people. I feel that for one who considers themselves a Jew to take that out of the equation and say that it (God) was just made up or just exists to give people some direction in how to live their lives, than their actions as far as keeping the religious traditions of the Jewish people are in vain.
I apologize if this entry was seemingly judgmental. I am not judging anyone. I am simply trying to understand and deal with a concept that is so counter-intuitive to me, and attempting to challenge those who identify with Secular Judaism.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Shayne, let me flip this equation around a bit to suggest that it's possible to view Judaism as population that created a religious way of life. After all, once a person believes that the Hebrew Bible was not divinely written, there has to be a pre-existing population to *create* the religion's seminal text. Might Judaism, in such a sense, be considered the state of existing as a member of that population, regardless of what one believes?
I can tell you that as confusing as it is for you, it is confusing for me. I identify as a Jew, no doubt. However, everyday I doubt the existence of G-d. I don't think this makes me any less of a Jew, and I don't think it makes me any less spiritual. It may make me less religious, but I differentiate between these terms. I look at religion as constricting and conforming. I look at spirituality as taking aspects of religious thought and applying them to life. I know that even if those more religious than I don't accept me for how I practice Judaism, I will still feel a connection because in the end, we are all Jews.
I enjoyed this post. For all intents and purposes, I am a Secular Jew. I have all the intent and want to go to services, but I never do. My opinion is that if you are culturally Jewish or consider yourself a Secular Jew, you must KNOW the religion and have experienced it. You cannot claim to be part of a religion if you know nothing about it. Also, spirituality is not only found through synagogues or churches...it can be found in your heart and in your home. something to think about!
I too would consider myself a secular jew. I strongly believe that Judaism is what you make it and if all you choose to take from it is the cultutal aspect, it is better than nothing. good post!
Post a Comment