The idea of intermarriage has the potential of being a touchy subject. Religious identity (for most people) is an extremely large piece of the person. Because of this, the idea of intermarriage has the potential of being a very difficult and sensitive issue when it comes to the couple and their family life. As I was listening to the discussion about intermarriage from a Jewish perspective, I found it especially more complex than other religions--in particular Christianity (because that is what I know best!). What makes it more complex in my eyes is the fact that Judaism has the potential as being looked at from both secular and religious points of view. The fact that Judaism can be looked at as a culture and even a race of people makes the idea of intermarriage a lot more sensitive. If a family members that derives pure Jewish bloodline (if that even exists) marries someone of another faith tradition or race, does that in some way compromise the Jewishness of a person? Does that in some way tarnish or decrease the value of the blood that runs through the child's veins?
I have absolutely no problem with the idea of intermarriage. Marriage is a beautiful institution in my opinion because when the marriage vows are taken seriously, they proclaim a beautiful promise of love and support for the spouse that is untouchable by whatever circumstances this world may bring up. However, that is not to say that intermarriage would not bring with it its share of difficulties and obstacles. In my own experience, it would be very difficult for me to marry outside of my faith. Not because I feel that the decision would be one step toward the fading away of Catholicism, not because I don't respect the faiths that other people find truth and a sense of identity in, but because of this. My belief in the Eucharist (bread and wine becoming the actual body and blood of Christ) is a central part of who I am as a human being. It very well may BE the central point of who I believe myself to be. If my future spouse does not share a belief in the Eucharist, than I would have a hard time feeling they really understand who I am, and thus, that would put a major obstacle in the way as far as giving myself completely over to somebody in the sacrament of marriage.
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
how you explained why you would want to marry with in your faith is basically about the same reason why at this point in my life I want to marry some one who is Jewish like me. I dont want to have to feel like i am constantly having to justify or teach or explain the jewish things i do and I want some one who shares the same values as me. its a trick subject and i have always found it difficult to explain to my non-Jewish friends.
I believe you nailed the debate of intermarriage right on when you explained how you would have a hard time believing a person you were in love with understood you in your entirety if they didn't also believe in the Eucharist. When you stated this, it sounded as though you would be uncomfortable marrying outside of your faith, but at the beginning of your blog you stated that you did not see a major problem with intermarriage.
I suppose I am asking for a clarification if I understood you correctly. And if I misunderstood what you were saying, I was hoping you could explain again your point.
If I understood you correctly, you do not in fact believe an intermarried couple could understand one another as well as a couple you has roots in the same faith. At this point in my life, this makes the most sense to me.
Post a Comment